The value marked an increase of 11.9 percent over the previous month and a drop of 7.8 percent when compared with the last 12-month average of $46.59 billion.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 12.7 percent over the last 12-month average with 1295 deals against the average of 1483 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $16.77 billion.
The top five technology deals accounted for 46.9 percent of the overall value during January 2020.
The combined value of the top five technology deals stood at $20.16 billion, against the overall value of $42.98 billion recorded for the month.
The top five technology industry deals of January 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Visa’s $5.3 billion acquisition of Plaid Technologies
- The $5 billion private equity deal with Veeam Software by Insight Partners
- Hitachi’s $4.9 billion acquisition of Hitachi High-Technologies
- The $2.56 billion acquisition of Global Blue by Far Point Acquisition
- Saudi Telecom’s acquisition of Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications for $2.39 billion.